Wednesday, March 7, 2007

07.03.07


It was just getting light when I woke up this morning, quick breaky and off to Dartmoor to find Hen Harriers.

When I got to Bennett's cross (first photo) the sun had just risen and I made my way up to Birch Tor. On the way I found 7 Red Deer. I could hear Skylark, a sound that always reminds me of summer and a sound what would follow me all day.

As I neared Birch Tor, I heard a wood lark and meadow pipits flew off and landed in the red bracken. I sat atop of the tor for about 30 mins constantly watching the moor in hope of seeing the harriers. Nope not here.

I walked down to the bottom of the tor by small trees and a couple of Reed Buntings were calling in the cover of the stunted trees. With them Chaffinches chased each other. I carried on now upwards and onto Soussons Wood. Along the way I found Frog spawn in the pools.

When I got to the wood I disturbed a small flock of Redwing. I was hoping for Crossbills but they to eluded me today.

I got very thirsty so I made my way back to the car for lunch and a nice cuppa. On the way I saw Buzzard and Kestral. After lunch I followed the two moors way for a bit to find the harriers but to no avail. May be next time.

No comments: