Monday, March 5, 2007

05.03.07

Well a break in the weather saw me go to Exeter to look for the Little Gull at Matford. I missed out on this bird but I had a wonder around Matford reccing for other possible find and for the future. There were plenty of Shoveler and Wigeons on the flooded fields with Coots and Moorhens busy fighting for territory.

I made my way to the site of the Yellow Browed Wabler at the Countess Weir sewage works, surprisingly enough it doesn't smell that much. Along the way and may thoughts of 'this is the wrong way' I saw a large flock of Cormorants on the banks of the Exe. I followed the directions and found the conifers and spent an hour looking for the bird. No joy. I did find a Chiffchaff and Goldcrest.

I went to walk back when I bumped into a friend, he had an hour to look and so did I. So i went back.

Well within a few minutes we had found a male Firecrest in the brambles, showing really well. The colours were so vivid and the call harsher than the Goldies.

The Chiffchaff showed again and was joined by a second bird. Spring has sprung.

As we walked back along the path we stopped at a good vantage point and as soon as we did a small bird popped out of pine it was in and into view. The very grey bird was unmistakably the Yellow Browed.

2 lifers in 10 mins, Cracking.

We also saw a small movement of Stock Doves.

What a great morning.

In the afternoon I took my boy to Stover CP. The rain also decided to follow. As we got around to the walkway 8 Siskins were on the feeders and loads of Tits. We walked around the pond and a white bird flew in. I followed it in until it landed on the water, a Goosander, great find and 1st for the year.

Altogether at really good days birding was had.

No comments: