Sunday, April 15, 2007

15.04.07


What a great day!

I had to do a bird survey this morning for the RSPB. When I left the house the sun was still under the horizon but on the way down the A38 I got one of my bogey birds, a Barn Owl. I have seen countless displays with them in but this was my first wild one.

At the farm I found loads of summer migrant which weren't there last time, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and Swallows(which were looking at an old nest). Another surprise for the day was my first Brambling of the year.

could it get any better?

I had finished the survey by 0930 so I disided to go to Yarner Wood, as it isn't far from home. When I got there the car park was quite full but I found a place. As I got out so were many other, I have never seen so many birders there! I but don't mind, more pairs of eyes!

I have been trying to find Lesser Spotted Woodpecker here for over a year, I have seen one at Stover 3 years ago but I really need one at Yarner!!!

I knew that Pied Flycatchers were there and so heard their lovely call. As I walked up the main path 2 Cornish birders had seen LSW already nearby and a female PFC was feeding in the canopy and made a visit down for a good view, stunning bird( I say this about most bird but this one I really mean, STUNNING). As we walked on as a group the LSW flew and everyone got a great view and it hang around for a bit too.

How many year ticks is that now?4

Then when looking in the canopy a female Redstart was feeding and flicking her tail so you could see her orange tail, 5. What a day! This looks like the first sighting this year.

I then took the back path towards the hide and found a male PFC calling and getting pushed away from nest boxes by a Blue Tit.

Now 5 year ticks isn't much but I had a great day.

No comments: