Friday, May 23, 2008

23.05.08


On the 21st I had a txt from a friend( thanks Nigel) to say that there was a Bonaparte's Gull and a summer plumage Ruff at BGM. I was on holiday in Exmouth( I know it's not far but it's easy with 2 small kids) so it was not far to travel to get a great lifer. And the bird didn't disappoint, it showed really well as did the Ruff, which I thought was better than the gull because it looks so odd, plus I had never seen one in it's summer plumage.

Also from Sandy Bay in Exmouth I watched an Artic Skua harassing Terns.

The 22nd was pretty much of a wash out, I did get some time to sea watch off Exmouth sea front. Terns and Kittys mainly with Gannets feeding close into. I'm pretty confident that this is an Artic Tern ( sitting low down, small red bill).

Sarnie buoy

What a cracker. Again the local grapevine working it's magic. Another txt to sat that there was 1 poss 2 Red Back Shrike by Soussons plantation. I couldn't get down early but I managed this evening and WOW there were definitely 2 birds. I saw 1 by the bottom gate, I got it on it's call first. Then I walked further down the track and a 2nd was calling too.( that's the 2nd bird in te photo). I walked back and there were 2 other birders watching the 1st bird.

I got lost on the way there but I did see a Peregrine being mobbed by a Hobby!

No comments: