Tuesday, February 12, 2008

12.02.08



(marsh harrier)

Slapton ley, 1030-1530, sunny with some cloud, SE wind

I went for my bi annual trip to SL today. I was hoping for the ring billed gull.

The first bird of the day was a Cetti's Warbler singing in the reeds. I followed the footpath around the ley to Ireland bay because this is where the RBG has been seen. I saw hundreds of RBG but 1 after another they magically turned into common gulls!

After an hour of watching them I took a walk further along the path and managed a Mistle thrush and a Greater Spot drumming. Iwalked back to the viewing platform.

Just as I got there and set up my scope for another look at the gull, some started to fly in from further back up the bay, as I watched a Marsh Harrier quartered it's way towards the sea. It was a beautiful male bird. Big time chuffed as this is a lifer for me.

I did some more double taking on the gull and by this time it was 1300 hrs, lunch time. I made my way back to the car, had lunch and then sea-watched for 20 mins but there was nothing there. so i thought i would see what was at Beesand Ley.

Even colder there, saw a Marsh Harrier but i think it was the same one, it was being chased of by 3 Buzzards! But not much on the ley there too so I called it a day.

Here is a list of bird seen today;
cetti's warbler
gadwall
coot
moorhen
water rail
mistle thrush
robin
mallard
tufted duck
herring gull
Common gull
black headed gull
blackbird
great crested grebe
blackcap
greater spotted woodpecker
phesant
long tailed tit
goldcrest
wren
blue tit
wood pigeon
chaffinch
song thrush
marsh harrier
greater black backed gull
mute swan
cormerant
raven
canada goose
crow
rook
starling
buzzard
polchard
meadow pipit
greenfinch
stonechat
pied wagtail
jackdaw

No comments: