Sunday, January 21, 2007



Managed to drag myself out of my nice warm bed to get down to the Passage House Inn early. There was lots of black headed gulls flying around waiting for the tide to drop so that they could preen. Amongst them were common gulls and herrings. at this point I couldn't feel my fingers even with gloves on but I don't give up that easily. I continued to search through the gulls trying to locate the Laughing Gull but no luck today. I did see 2 Goldeneye diving on the far side of the river also further down were 2 mergansers(f). As I scanned the area a little grebe made an appearance diving in the shallow fast moving water and making it way up river. All the while the strange kazoo like call of the Lapwing was ever present and I managed to count 16, the most I've had there was 29, 2 weeks ago. On the far banks I noticed a heron waiting to pounce on it's chosen prey.
At this point I was F-R-E-E-Z-I-N-G so I walked along the path towards the A380 road bridge to try and get some feeling back into my hands. Ahead of me I noticed 4 mute swans feeding and cleaning their feathers, they looked a warm light orange in the early sunshine. then a flash caught my eye(cliche), it didn't look blue at first but i knew what it was, a kingfisher. Almost every time this year I have been to the site I have seen one, I didn't see a single bird last year here! Anyway I saw where I landed and set up my scope to watch it. I couldn't believe it, I saw about 15 meters from it and it sat there watching the water and not me. I managed to get a quick photo down the scope and when I looked back down it, it was gone. WOW.
Well time was against me and I had to get to work, as I walked back to the car I stopped, I heard a call, it was a Grey Wagtail, again I have seen loads over the last few years but none here. Cracking.
i only go to the Passage House because it's easy to get to before work but i was chuffed with today's birds.
Very sad news about the Napolii in East Devon. i know that some seabirds have already been washed ashore(AHHHHHHHHH) I know this will have an effect on my other patch at Dawlish Warren but I feel for everyone further around the coast. What impact will this have on the enviroment. considering it is a world heritage site it seems that there is little reaction from the government and abroad. I'm sure we would help other countries in the same situation!


No comments: