Sunday, August 10, 2008

10.08.08


Black Tern under the red arrow(don't worry the arrow isn't at the warren)


Dawlish Warren this morning produced a flurry of Terns.
I got to the hide and everyone was watching a Black Tern on the far side of the river, it showed reasonably well and even managed to watch it feeding. Beauty of a bird, really small next to the Sarnies.
Other highlight included a Slavonian grebe towards Cockwood, Common and Sarnie Terns and a lovely Rosiate Tern, close by and in great condition.


The rosey is the one in the middle that takes off and lands straight away.
I watched the sea for a bit but gave up cos I didn't see anything.

There was a strange juv gull in the bight, it was thought to be a 1st summer Yellow Legged Gull, this caused much debate, which I don't think got resolved. I thought that the bill shape was to thin but I have just been looking at the Portland Bird Observatories web site and they had a similar looking bird earlier in the week. Who knows??????

No comments: